Click this link to Skip Navigation.
OSD Logo

Office for Students with Disabilities Resource Center

Border bar Border bar

General FAQs

  • "How do I get Services?"
    Come to the OSD in L112 and meet with our staff. All services must be supported by appropriate documentation. Each semester, make an appointment to complete an Instructor Notification Form. Eligible services begin after the student has met with an OSD staff member and appropriate documentation has been approved.

  • "How much do services cost?"
    All reasonable accommodations offered by OSD are free.

  • "Will my high school forward my disability records?"
    No, once you are in college, it is your responsibility to identify yourself as a student with a disability. Though IEP and Section 504 plans are helpful, they may not be considered appropriate documentation in college. Please see our Documentation requirements for more information.

  • “Where do I meet staff to obtain my paperwork and get my accommodations?”
    Most services and equipment are housed at our Grayslake campus. Accommodations are coordinated throughout all three campuses however, and if the majority of your classes are held at either Southlake or Lakeshore campus, please let us know, we will be happy to come to you.

  • "How soon should I get started?"
    The sooner the better! In order to ensure that accommodations are in place before the semester begins, we ask that you request services immediately after you register for classes. Some accommodations may take longer to provide; the sooner you meet with us, the better. However, please keep in mind that we are here to help you. If you have not requested services at the beginning of the semester but feel you need help, contact us ASAP! We will make every effort to provide you with the services that you need.

  • "Who will I work with?"
    The college employs a wide variety of support staff to work with students. OSD staff will match you with someone we feel will work best with you.

  • "What is not provided?"
    The College of Lake County does not provide transportation to/from the campus or provide the services of personal assistants. If you are in need of either of these services, OSD may be able to assist you with a referral.

  • "Do I have to apply for services each semester?"
    Yes and no. For some, the changing nature of the disability may dictate altering the accommodations. In this circumstance, we may ask for further documentation. However, for most, you will not have to turn in new documentation each semester. You will, however, need to come to OSD to renew your application prior to the start of each semester. Your needs will change with the different classes you take; therefore, we want to ensure you have the most appropriate, reasonable accommodations possible.

  • "Where can I find a provider that may be able to assist me in obtaining further documentation?"
    If students need specialized testing to determine eligibility for academic accommodations or to supplement old documentation, check out our Assessment Referral List.

Return to Top of Page

Grayslake | Lakeshore | Southlake | Extension Sites
   College of Lake County, 19351 W Washington Street, Grayslake, IL  60030-1198

Copyright © 2014-2018 College of Lake County. All Rights Reserved.
Publisher: Office for Students with Disabilities    Last Updated: August 2019